Thursday, August 31, 2006

rains and waterfalls

Finally managed to get to the waterfall. On Tuesday it was baking hot and I planned to go and sun myself at a nearby guesthouse's pool but Rick rang to say he and Jing were off to the waterfall.

I gathered my stuff and we whizzed up the mountainside, praying that it would be as sunny up there as down in Pai.

The falls were beautiful - water gushing over huge smooth rocks and we sat near the top looking out towards a gap in the mountains where we could see mountain ranges in the distance.

You could sit in the water and sunbathe at the top of one of the drops or lie on the smoothed rocks. But the best thing was that you could use the falls as waterslides. It looked terrifying to sit and launch yourself from the top of a 15-20ft fall and it looked as though Jing was crashing against the sides of the rocks.

I decided to do it and was gathering the courage when Jing grabbed me and threw the pair of us off the top...

It was great fun and although it looks as though you crash against the side, it is a natural smooth slide.

The Falangs around the side of the falls looked mightily impressed as I threw myself off time and again until all the lads were joining Jing and me.

Later that day, Jing took me on a motorbike tour and it was such a feeling of freedom to be on the back of a bike among stunning mountain ranges. We went up Pai Canyon again and walked further than I had with Matt - it looked beautiful in the soft dusk.

When I returned to Wonderland, Gemma and I decided to cycle to the hot springs, about 8km away. There are natural springs and then pools where you can bathe at neighbouring spa camping place. It was a third of the cost to be in the waters at the camping place so we sat there and chatted and analysed the world.

It was very dark when we left at about 7pm. Luckily Gemma had brought a head torch as the road was very windy and extremely dark. After a while we biked in silence, concentrating hard on trying to see what was just a few metres ahead of us.

The relief was palpable when we hit street lights and civilisation.

The last two days have been miserable weather and we are slightly concerned about trekking if it is very wet. But we are going to talk about it with the guides later and see if the weekend looks any better.

Thanks to everyone who has sent stuff out - fingers crossed it will arrive in time but I'm sure my friend can pick anything else up for me and bring it when we hook up later in September. But does this mean I have to wait until September 11 to open the stuff?!

Right now it is still pouring and I want a big mug of cocoa, even though I have just eaten all the iced gems I bought for the children today and my teacher treated me to the biggest Phad Thai you have ever seen - and I wasn't even hungry! But a movie and a mug of hot chocolate... now that would be good.

But since then, the weather has not been great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home