Friday, August 25, 2006

pai pai pai

Not an awful lot to report... Here time goes in fits and starts. We spend our evenings eating in the many restaurants here, going to a few bars and ending up at Chanon's Bar where our friend Eek works (and we can choose the music) and then going to Beebop bar for the live music.

There is a band that performs there most nights and the singer plays a pink guitar with the Hello Kitty cat on it. All the volunteers are crazed over him. He is a kind of Franz Ferdinand frontman - stadning very straight-backed and still with his hands strumming the guitar crazily.

Matt, the guy I met in Laos, has come to visit for a few days and has hired a car so we are going off to see the canyon and some waterfalls this weekend - hopefully. He is also going to teach me to ride a moped too.

It has gone very hot again, although it rains at night. Too hot to do much in the midday heat.

Today I took over Rebbekah's classes and taught three groups this morning. I really enjoyed getting back into the swing of it and the teacher Pat told me they think I teach well and enjoy the lessons.

There are a lot of Chinese and Hill tribe children in the class. This means they not only speak Thai, but their own language, plus trying to learn English too. They are very beautiful and look slightly different to the Isaan children.

I miss Isaan - the food and the smiles, the lushness and my class. But I love the mountainous scenery, the colourful clothing of the Hill tribe people in town, the variety of skin tones, hair type, and dress of the students and the buzz of town.

Pai is not a big place and some would get bored here with the same bars, same bands, early closing of everywhere but a few places, same crowd, different day. Others get stuck here with the yoga teachers, fortune tellers and jewellery sellers.

I had my fortune told the other day. A man worked out my future from my birthdate and time (vague) and my palm and pointed to translations in a book.

Apparently I am to have at least three husbands (maybe concurrent, maybe consecutively), lazy, argumentative and disrespectful children, go travelling for at least three days in the next year (ha!), have allergies to something and beri beri, paralysis or abdominal disease. He also said I was stubborn and a flirt - I could have told him that.

So, 50B well spent I think (about 75p). I may go and see a fortune teller soon. Massages here are fantastic and cheap - I came out smelling of wonderful herbs yesterday - relaxed and stretched.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home