Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Diving diva

Have spent nearly a week on Koh Phi Phi and I'm not yet eager to leave. Once again I am running out of time here...

Michelle, Duncan and I did two days of diving when we first got here - the first stunningly beautiful near Koh Phi Phi Ley (The Beach location) and the second day on a ferry wreck between here and Phuket.

That was great and we saw a large turtle there but couldn't do the other dives nearby because the waves were too choppy and current too strong.

I went out diving yesterday again - a beautiful day - the kind you imagine in Thailand with turquoise flat seas and brilliant sunshine. The diving was truly amazing. So much better than Koh Tao for its visibility, fish life, colour and brilliance. We saw three leopard sharks, three black tip sharks, moray eels and numerous other weird and wonderful creatures.

Have really found my feet here. The community is re-establishing itself and slowly rebuilding. It won't be up to full accommodation capacity here for another high season (Nov-Mar) and there is a lot of construction work taking place. People are hopeful though. Like Sri Lanka, everyone has a story about Boxing Day 2004.

Through the dive team at Moskito, I have met a lot of the divemasters and instructors on the island and am so tempted to take diving to pro level, live out here, make a bit of money on the side doing web work, and get paid to take people diving. It would cost around 600 pounds to train up and then living costs but you can make money working in the dive shops in the mean time.

I have made a wide circle of friends which means that wandering around town you bump into people, stop for chats or drinks and end up dancing on the beach, occasionally until the sun edges over the rocky outcrops of the island.

Meanwhile, the rain has come and weather forecasts predict it will continue for several days. I have been watching CSI in the classroom at Moskito and meeting people for coffee or on the beach.

However, I do plan to leave tomorrow (Wednesday). I was aiming for the beaches of Railay and then Phang-nga where The Man with the Golden Gun was filmed. But the weather makes me tempted to stay where there are friends and diving. I could stay and do my advanced course here and then head to Cambodia for the last few weeks or days...

Or go to Khao Lak and check out the rebuilding efforts since the tsunami. The choices are there but, as ever, I remain indecisive...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home