Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The weekend

Had a great weekend. In Udon Thani I had lunch with Jeab and her classmates who all gave me the nickname kao neow - or sticky rice!
Tried some Som Tam - the spicy papaya salad which is renowned to knock dead even vindaloo-loving falangs and I lived to tell the tale!

In the shopping mall I bought a few choice bargains including the fabled ceramic hair straighters (cost me about two quid) and then Jeab and her friends came to pick me up to take me to Nong Khai.

Luckily I was able to stay at Travel to Teach's Meechai dorm, the nicer of the two, as some people had gone to Chiang Mai for the weekend. Several of the coordinators were leaving and a rock star party was planned for the dorm that night. In rolled copious amounts of Mexican food (!), soda, and all kinds of pop to mix with the ubiquitos SangSom whisky.

Tanu, Iris and I talk about how to possibly make our meagre traveller/teacher wardrobes rocks star friendly.

Later we sit on the roof terrace with the other volunteers looking at the stars and drinking and laughing. I meet Natalie who is to join me in Namsom and she is a 23 year old American gal who is luckily and nicely up for the Namsom rural life.

There were many Thai people at the party and it was a nice mix. But incredibly odd when the karaoke started and there were Thai guys singing Westlife at the top of their lungs. I would sya it's crazy how far banality can travel - but I was there joining in with the rest - 'Can't believe that I'm a fool again..."

Jeab stopped by on her on/off boyfriends motorbike and we went for a whizz down the Mekong River to a spot where mats line the pavements and people sit on them around low tables ordering milkshakes. I chose Oreo and Banana flavour and we chatted for ages about things.

Even as I was thinking about how similar people are despite the different cultures we grow up in. But then I was starkly reminded of how different Jeab's life is. She has two jobs (one as coordinator for Travel to Teach in Namsom) and the other in the municipal office in Namsom and studies all weekend at university.

She has a boyfriend who has a good job but gambles and possibly cheated on her and she feels she has a choice of staying with this bad boy who she loves or marrying a good rich boy who cares for her but who she cannot imagine marrying. Because she has to put her sister and brother through college and support her parents. They are currently in Bangkok doing construction work to make ends meet. She is 24 and feels she has to choose a man now...

I like her a lot but we are both tired after a long day and when she drives me back to the dorm, the whisky, milkshake, the long day, the heat... I need my bed and can't contemplate Bar Nana with its crazy dancers and more drinking. I head to bed...

On Sunday I take a lazy brunch with Iris and Tanu down at Mut Mee Guesthouse. It is run by a 'crazy' Brit who thinks listing Mekong Rver Water (natural and untreated) is very funny. And in some ways it is (imagine the embarrasment of those who think it a delicacy!).

Later, I take the long bus rides back to Namsom, planning to meet with Pi Mon for dinner unless she has to go out to work - she does but I don't mind and instead buy Phad Thai and settle down infront of Monster in Law, one of the few working DVDs we have at the dorm.

Yesterday, Monday, class went very well. I planned well, we had fun. We played Bingo, I made cards so they could hold them up and say 'I Like...' and ' I don't like...' and we had some games too.

Today class was also good with many cards, hearts and sweets offered during the lesson and teaching me to say their names and nicknames during the break. But half an hour before the lesson ended their concentration waned from Mr Funny book and they started indicating hunger adn walking about. I got a bit mad and made them write vocab instead. Hmmm could've been the late night that made me intolerant of their cheekiness. I must be extra nice tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home