Saturday, July 01, 2006

Bangkoking

Still having fun - that's all you need to know right?
Have moved from my plush hotel with swimming pool to major budget option - 270B a night for a double room (they ran out of singles). it's a bed and that's it. and a big fan on the ceiling which only works when you are in the room (craig - it's like that one in turkey - have to get the old key trick going again). not even sure that includes a shower! ha ha.

Last night I strolled Khao San Road (the backpacker heaven - or hell). Crazy full of stalls and bright lights . I loved it but wouldn't want to stay there. I must have been having a lost moment because i got caught unaware being dragged into a beauty salon (not literally mum) for a manicure and pedicure for 200B (about 3 quid). bit of an extravagance but hey - i'm on holiday!
I now have pretty toes which is a very very rare thing. They also tried to get me to have a hair cut, shampoo, straighten which gives you some idea of how crap my hair is l;ooking. it's not too bad today as there was a hairdryer in the hotel so it's under some semblance of control (and thanks to that frizz stuff you gave me Jen - legend!)

After that i went for some chicken noodle soup and plonked myself next to an oirsh girl from limerick who was very nice but i have no idea what her name was.

She'd just done a year working and traveling in Oz and was stopped off in bangkok because she couldn't bear to go straight home. She gave me lots of tips and even more enthusiam for Oz. Thoguh she suggested a go straight to NZ while i have the money.... it's a thought!

So this was good esp as the chicken noodle soup was abit crap and bland- couldn't figure out why but later it came to me. I am used to Craig's super douper Ainsley special. not even the thai's can match that eh?

After that i fuigured i had best be getting back to hotel as it's massively far from khao san and i wasn't sure how safe it was to be out late getting taxis. so i headed back with a great gent who i haggled with fairly succesively (well it's my fault he didn't put the meter on - doh!) and who taught me to count to 5 and from 100 to 500 (six to 10 and further seemed way too complicated after one beer). He also pointed out loads of stuff which was better than the sullen driver this morning who took me from posh hotel to khao san for half the price but just sighed the whole way.

The i went to hotel bar to watch the germany v argentina game and was confused who to support. nightmare. had my first chang beer - great stuff - but there it cost double the price of dinner!

Decided to take Taxi to khao san today as hotel had no clue about buses. Taxi driver this morn did take me through china town though which was so colourful and full of life. I loved it.

Traffic is crazy here but driving doesn't seem to be as bad as sri lanka - well actually i haven't seen them have the chance to go too fast.

So so far all is well and i'm loving it. Jon and Craig - you would've been proud of the job i did on the hotel buffet this morning (crazy choices but nothing compared to Dalyan schmaig). Furry, i went for a swim this morning before breakfast. How good am I? really didn't want to but was so glad i did. outside pool - lovely!

My bed for tonight is on a pretty and quiet road but still very backpackery (bella bella if anyone knows it). I like being with fellow travllers but the market yesterday was great because only saw about 2 western people. much more fun!

Now off for a spot of sightseeing probv at Siam Square. tomorrow i plan to do the palace first thing and then change hostels to one up road which has a pool you can use for a small fee.
Then i may well go to Kanchanduri on Monday to see bridge over river kwai, death railway etc. nothing like a bit of morbidity.

Nad of course there is the ENgland game at 10pm tonight. All great. The girl last night said there were screens on the beaches at Koh Samui for england games- heaven or hell?

1 Comments:

Blogger tropik said...

Definitely hell. Imagine the beautiful surroundings being sullied by yob culture :) if they make it that far, that is. For some reason I have an image of San Antonio/Magaluf in Thailand... Hmm.

Anyways, good to hear you got there ok - Bkk sounds cool!

11/7/06 19:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home