Friday, June 30, 2006

I'm here!

Well folks i made it here ok. so far so good!
Flights were fine - bit of a delay on the second from Dubai to Bangkok and it was hellish getting off plane in Dubai - a) because it was like an oven even at 7am and b) because it was about 4am in England and i'd had 2 hrs sleep! Still all was well and there were no problems getting from the arport to the hotel. I had booked a place on a minibus through the Khao San Road website. When i got out of a very long immigration and passport control line - they werecalling my name on the tannoy AND the lady had a board with my name on it! felt rather special!
I was the only one on the minibus - a crazy ride through nighttime bangkok seeing the good, the bad and the ugly.
Hotel Narai is nice. I have a business room because they are refurbing the floor below - hence banging all day.
My view from the 10th floor is great - seeing skyscrapers all lit up at night but to wake up thisd morning and see browning buildings infront rather slum like.

Didn't make it to breakfast - instead slept til noon and then explored some this crazy place- first by skytrain (a kind of monorail or rather an underground train above the streets!) and then by boat.
I took the boat bus up to the furthest spot and got out at the market there. Bought a Sim card (so you can now all text me on 052286956 - although it needs the country code first which is, i think 66) and some very cheap earrings (i lost one of my favourites on the plane) and some washing powder for me smalls and a thai dish of some sort which i think was tofu with chilli sauce! yum. haggling skills not so good yet...

now near Khao San Road to check out cheap sleeping options for next few days. just had a green tea in cafe in order to use their loo. now...on with the adventure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home